You may be running a very good CV program, but equivalent procedures are off anyway. Why? Statin drugs actually work. Drug eluting stents work. Boomers are a whole lot healthier that we thought they’d be.
So why is PV the growth area?
- PV is way under diagnosed
- It is a high-incidence disease
- It is easy to treat (cath lab, surgery, imaging)
- It has rich reimbursement – even from medicare
- Interventional Cardiologist made an estimated 9 – 11% less money last year- here is a way to help them re-coop their losses
- You already have the staff
- No new capital investment is required
Your Next Steps-
Start screening appropriate inpatient and outpatients (especially for any bariatric or diabetic patient); provide ultrasound screenings for the carotid artery, abdominal aortic screening, ankle-brachial index (ABI) and peripheral arterial screenings.
Targeting Peripheral Vascular Disease is great marketing: targeting a high-contribution, high-incidence procedure all by leveraging existing assets. This is the kind of marketing that contributes to the financial sustainability of the health system- and that is why health system marketing exists.