8 million people search for health information daily(Pew Research). Utilizing social media is a powerful tool to be found by those 8 million searchers and translating them into increased patient volumes.
Ed Bennet provided some great case studies about 3 hospitals that used social media to increase patient volume.
University of Maryland Medical Center
University of Maryland Medical Center made relevant content easy to find.
- 60,000 pages of easily accessible content (ADAM library, patient success stories, Ask Expert videos)
- Audience accessed content directly, only 1.3% visited the homepage
- U of M Medical Center acted quickly upon feedback
Results: In 1 year for only 6 physicians, 169 new patients responsible for $4.7 million in revenue
Aurora Health Care
Aurora Health Care Tweeted during a Live OR bilateral knee replacement.
- In first wave of Live OR Twitter events advance marketing built viewership from 900 to 2,000 followers in one week
- Watch the local and national press coverage including Good Morning America below
Results: Tracked 20 consultations tied to the event resulted in 14 procedures
MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Promoted use of Referring physician portal
- Targeted messages on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Built Physician Loyalty
Results: Saw a 9.5% increase in physician-referred registrations
5 Steps for you to get started
With 660 hospitals nationwide using social networking, now is the time for you to join in. If those 8 million people can’t find you online, you don’t exist to them. Follow these 5 steps and get started today.
- Assess current situation
- Create Goal
- Define Target
- Outline Strategy
- Select Technology