With 9 simple steps, hospital marketing can go from an expense to a revenue producer.
My basic philosophy is that is if hospital marketing departments do not drive patient volume in a measurable way, they will always be an overhead expense.
But if hospital marketers deliver measurable Return on Investment (ROI), they will be valued as a key component of long-term sustainability.
Here are my nine proven things you can start doing right away to begin driving measurable patient volume.
- Target a very specific patient (No General Targets like “women 35 – 64”. Every service line has a specific segment of the market they are targeting- many have several. Ortho, for instance, has different segmentation for joint replacement, shoulder surgery and sports medicine)
- Collaborate with Finance to set measurable goals (Maybe admissions data. Maybe filter out previous patients. Whatever it is, set it upfront.)
- Choose your DRG’s wisely the most profitable DRG’s where the organization has excess capacity (Where do you have capacity AND Contribution Margin? Where those intersect is your sweet spot.)
- Target “pre-episode patients” (For immediate results, risk assessments and seminars will bring in patients faster than you can effect a change in referral patterns. We recently saw a CV program drive over 400 new procedures this way.)
- Master the 3M’s: 1) Media Mix, 2) Message, and 3) Movement ( 1) reach your target in surprising places where they can listen; 2) use a message that will stir them to action; 3) and then clearly give a call to action so they know exactly what to do next.)
- Opt-In Marketing is not optional (Don’t talk at them, give them an opportunity to ask you questions. Start a dialog.)
- Become the Patient Distribution Czar (We believe the Marketing Department is best suited to set up a system to sort patients that ask for risk assessments.)
- Capitalize on Co-risks (See #7 above. Did you know 30% of Ortho patients have a CV problem that needs surgery? Or 45% of CV patients have either an ortho or cancer problem? Once you find these profitable patients, sort and distribute them.)
- Follow the downstream revenue (You set up the metrics with finance in step #2, now track these patients through the system. Marketing job security depends on it!)
For more information on the 9 steps, download the Free “9 Things all Healthcare marketers should do to drive the right patient with the right payer to the right service line” eBook.